Thursday, March 18, 2010

I see it...I hope for it.....

LOVE IS ALL AROUND


I visited my grandparents yesterday. They have been married for 60 years or so. That is a long time and a dying concept in this world. people seek perfection too much, make themselves unhappy and die alone. Not in my grandparents case. On Monday my Grandfather had skin removed from his eye lids which were inflamed from the crash. He also had fat removed from is neck. The areas became inflamed in the crash.

Think about it. an 86 year old man having a Tuck, and wrinkle removal, hilarious. The doc probably told him he would look 10 years younger.

I walked in to see my Grandfathers head wrapped up surgical bandages that circled his hear laterally and vertically. his has stitches in his eye lashes and dried blood protruding from his bandage covering his chin.

My Grandmother follows me back to his room where his sits in his blue leather chair. I sit in front of him and we catch up on the latest news of my life. I explain I am there for a short visit before a job interview. I rarely make it over any more since I almost killed myself and totaled my car in a wake-up call crash. Today, Sarah, my girlfriend is working and has allowed me to use the car for my interview. I leave early to come see this elderly couple I adore.

I have to talk much louder than normal. The bandages cover my Grandfathers ears. 2010 has been a rough year for him. He has been in bad shape and now he just had surgery. Again.

We converse.

My grandmother and I chuckle at our patriarch's current life situations and he chuckles along.
I tell him, "Man, Pop, you are a wreck! (::laugh::) We have to get you better quick!"

"I have to get better before I get worse!" He replies with a smile and cough.

My Grandmother re-adjusts his bandages and its quiet. While looking at my grandmother I notice a certain look come upon her face. The look of love. True Love. Unconditional pure love. Everlasting.

She is still in love with this man after all they have been through. Losing a son, three wars and foreign tours over seas (leaving the family behind), car crashes, health problems, family problems, everything. Nothing has separated them over the years. She looks at him as if it were the first days after their marriage- it is many years later.

At Christmas time I saw them kiss after dinner. No one was around and no one was supposed to see. I did. I saw it. They are truly still in love and they will both likely die with in the next 20 years. They will not die alone.


This is what I want. I want to be 75-80 years of age and still feel those strong feelings of true, unconditional, undying, everlasting, pure LOVE.

There is a lyric by Brand New that goes, "Everyone who lives will someday die, and die alone."

Even though they are one of my favorite bands, I refuse agree.

I hope for it. I hope for the love that I feel, till death do us part. And even past that.

When I am old, dying in my bed I hope that the love of my life is there with me. Or if she is on her death bed I hope I am there for her as well.

Sarah and I are very involved. We talk about the future, marriage, and things we want to do together. We live together, play together, and love each other very much.

I hope with all my heart that she IS the one and that our love lasts like my Grandparents. I see their love. I hope to feel love like that as well.

I don't want to die alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment